So Farr, So Good

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Day Care Cooties

Well, we made it not quite two weeks before we had our first round with the daycare cooties. His nose has been running since the second day of daycare, but we had been keeping an eye to make sure the snot was clear and not green and that there was no fever. All was fine until I got a call from the daycare yesterday at about 3:45 telling me that Reagan had a fever of 101.I got off work and went and picked him up. When I got there, the teacher had him lying on his mat in the back of the room. He had a real glazed look on his face and you could tell he just didn't feel well. I got him home and he didn't want to go play or do anything except hang on to his Momma, which is always fine with me!

I had called the doctor to make an appointment for this morning, but once we got home and felt how warm he was, I decided to check out the Austin Regional Clinic after hours clinic, which is just a couple of miles from our house. I called at 6:15 to make an appointment and they told me to come in at 6:50. We got over and didn't wait very long. We saw an awesome physicians assistant that Reagan just love. She checked his ears and everything and said that his throat was irritated, but it was from all the drainage. His ears are clear and his chest is clear, but he did have 100 degree temp when we got there. She gave us a prescription for antibiotics, but told us not to give them to him unless he gets worse. She told us to give him tylenol to keep his fever down, keep his nose irrigated, and give him lots of fluids.

Darrell stayed home with him today. When I pick Reagan up from daycare, they always give me a daily report that tells me when he had his diaper changed, what he ate and when, how long his nap was, and what kind of mood he was in. Darrell, very sweetly, drew the whole little page on a piece of paper so I could see what Reagan had done today. He also noted that he was happy, tired, played will with others, and needed extra attention. He was barely able to keep his eyes open when we were eating dinner and he felt really warm again, so Darrell took him upstairs for an early bath and he has been asleep since 7:45. Poor little guy is just not feeling well! It looks like one of of is going to be staying home with him again tomorrow!

I know that getting sick is just part of being in daycare and as my friend, Amanda, reminds me, it is better for them to get sick when they are this age than when they are in kindergarten. I know that these little spells are helping him to get build his immunity.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chewie De La Bacca said...

Don't listen to that Amanda lady, she's crazy!!

May 14, 2010 at 6:00 AM  
Blogger Jessica Luther (scATX) said...

As an experienced mother of a sickly day care kid, I just want to point out that for whatever reason, Ibuprofen helps keep Aidan's temp down better than Tylenol. So, we often do what our ped recommends, and give him both on an alternating schedule, 4 hours apart (the ibuprofen says every six hours but it means from the last time that he had ibuprofen). When we had our really high fever scare, it was ibuprofen that broke it within ten minutes.

Good luck, mom!

May 14, 2010 at 12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home