So Farr, So Good

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Finally...an Update!

It's been a while since I have written an update, but so much has been going on in the Farr household. After over a month and 3 different rental cars, the almost $8,000 of repairs have finally been completed on our CR-V. We got the car back Friday and I'm so happy to have it back. The car definitely looks fantastic and looks like a brand new car again. I will be keeping an eye on a few interior things just to make sure everything is right.

New Years Eve was a little sad for us because late the evening before, we received a call that my Uncle Jim, my Mom's only brother, passed away. He was diagnosed with lung cancer in September and had completed his radiation treatment as well as his chemotherapy. Things were going exactly as planned and he had been doing as well as expected with his treatment. The day before New Years Eve, my Mom received a text message from my Aunt that my uncle was in the hospital and had pneumonia, that it was a slight bump in the road to recovery, but everything should be ok. Mom was getting updates form her throughout the day and the doctors kept telling my aunt that everything was going to be alright. My Mom called me around 11pm the day before New Years Eve and said that we had lost him. What he had was rapid pneumonia and it caused his heart to stop. Earlier in the day, they had done x-rays on his lungs and they said that the spot where the cancer was in his lung was almost completely gone. We are so very sad that he had made through the hardest part of the treatment and it seemed like the cancer was on it's way out and it was the pneumonia that took him. We will all miss him dearly and are so thankful that he did not have to suffer. My Uncle was one of the very smartest people that I have ever met in my entire life and I am so thankful that I got to spend the time that I did with him. They were just here in August and we had a wonderful time eating good Texas food and hanging out in Gruene. We love you and will miss you, Uncle Jim!

It is so hard for us to believe, but Reagan will be 1 year old next Saturday. This year has flown past! Our little man is getting so very close to walking. We bought him his first pair of walking shoes last weekend and he has been standing more and more on his own. Darrell and I have been working with him and we will stand him up in front of us and he will take a few wobbly little steps over to us. It shouldn't be long before he takes off running! He now has 5 teeth-3 on top and 2 on bottom-and a 4th on the top is about to come out. We are still feeding him his baby food, but he is always very interested in what we are eating and is always willing to try our food. We haven't really found much that he is not a fan of. We are really looking forward to his birthday celebration next Saturday. As long as it's not raining, we are going to go meet some friends down in San Antonio and go to the zoo. We have gotten him a few birthday surprises and are very excited about celebrating his 1st birthday.


Through all of the crazy happenings around here, I have managed to keep up my running and on January 24th, I will be running my 4th half marathon (13.1 miles) at the 3M Half Marathon here in Austin. This was the very first half marathon that I ever did, so I am excited to see how I will do on this course again this year. Yesterday I ran 12 miles, which has been my longest run of the season. It took me 2:39 and we walked the first mile and a half or so because we didn't want to stretch because it was so cold outside. I just checked my time from the first time I did 3M and it was 2:44, so I am right on track for the time that I need to finish the race in. I am also so very pleased to announce that I am back to the weight that I was prior to being pregnant with Reagan and I am back to wearing a size 6. It has been a long journey and didn't come off nearly as fast as I thought it would, but I have done it. Training for this half marathon has really gotten me back in shape and helped me to achieve my goal. I have had to watch what I eat and make sure that I eat the right foods to help give me the nutrition that I need to my training. With eating right most of the time and the amount of running that I do (4 times a week---3 short runs of 3 miles each and long runs on the weekend) he weight has just melted off. A HUGE thank you to my friend and co-worker Cindy who is my running buddy at lunch on the weekdays and who has been doing my long runs with me on the weekends since I have not been making it to train with my Austin Fit Training group. I am looking forward to meeting up with my Austin Fit group on race day to run with them. I am also very proud of my friend Cindy who is about 47 years old and will be running her first half marathon with me at the 3M. She has been an inspiration to me with her dedication to being fit since I met her 5 1/2 years ago. She used to be a gym rat and had never really run outside before She's been running off and on with me for the past couple of years and she had knee surgery a little over a year ago. She has come such a long way with her running and I'm so excited that I will be running next to her when she finishes her first half marathon. A huge thanks to her for making me accountable to her for working out and watching what I eat!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jessica Luther (scATX) said...

Glad to hear that you are still running. We have all been wondering if you were okay since the last time we saw you, you had to drop back because of your tummy. I guess we'll see you on race day!

January 11, 2010 at 8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home